I came up with this recipe last week when trying to figure out what to have for dinner on our vegan night. We are attempting to have one vegetarian and one vegan meal each week right now. I’ve got to say that if all vegan recipes tasted like this one there would be a lot more vegans in the world! These tacos were outstanding! Everyone in the house loved them. The edamame and corn were perfect additions to the black bean filling. The tacos are full flavored and very filling too. I think what made these really stand out to all of us is the avocado sauce on top. Don’t skip making the creamy goodness. I must say the tacos were also really pretty! The recipe is below for your printing pleasure.
LOS ANGLES FOOD & PORTRAIT PHOTOGRAPHER
- 2 cans black beans (drained and rinsed)
- 1 can sweet corn (drained)
- 1 5oz frozen shelled edamame
- 1 – 2 canned chipotle peppers (chopped)
- 1 & ¼ cup salsa (I use mild La Victoria)
- ¼ onion finely chopped
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 – 2 tsp cumin
- ¼ tsp crushed red peppers
- 2 pinches of salt
- pepper to taste
- 2 avocados
- 1 – 1½ cups salsa verde
- 1 bunch cilantro
- Juice of ½ a lemon
- 16 – 20 corn tortillas
- 1 – 2 large tomatoes (chopped)
- shredded lettuce
- Saute the onion & garlic in a bit of olive oil until translucent.
- Add in the drained and rinsed black beans, corn, edamame, chipotle peppers, seasonings and salsa. Stir well and let cook on medium heat about 10 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Prepare the avocado sauce by mixing the avocados, 1 cup of the salsa verde sauce, cilantro, a pinch of salt and lemon juice in a food processor. Process until smooth. Add more salsa verde if the sauce is too thick and process once more to get the consistency how you’d like it.
- While the black bean mixture is heating through warm the tortillas on a gas range or in an unseasoned pan.
- Chop some tomatoes and shred a bit of lettuce for topping the tacos with.
- Serve the yummy tacos hot with plenty of the creamy avocado sauce on top!