I am in awe of balsamic vinegar. It is heavenly on salads. It has very little calories per serving. It also adds incredible flavor to just about anything. But…my favorite way to enjoy this stellar condiment is when it is reduced down to a glorious, sticky and sweet saucy state. This is also known as a Balsamic Reduction. If you haven’t tried making a Balsamic Reduction do so today. It is easy! Start with a high quality and aged balsamic vinegar if possible. I like using Tastefully Simple’s Aged Balsamic Vinegar of Modena and you can grab a bottle or two or three here.
This is a beautiful dish to serve for guests. The sticky balsamic reduction is sweet and delicious. It’s the perfect compliment to baked chicken. I like mild flavored seasonings on the chicken when pairing it with this type of reduction. Basil & garlic work excellent together. There is really very little work involved in this simple but elegant main dish. It would go great with just about any side dish you come up with.
When I’m being extremely lazy I will just top a ready made store bought rotisserie chicken with a balsamic reduction, steam some veggies and call it a dinner!
Tell me you’re not salivating for a bite of this chicken right about now!!!
- 1 teaspoon dried basil leaves
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- olive oil
- ¼ cup aged balsamic vinegar of Modena by Tastefully Simple
- 2 chicken breasts
- Drizzle plenty of olive oil over both sides of the chicken breasts.Combine seasonings and sprinkle on both sides of the chicken breasts. Place in an oven safe dish and bake at 375 degrees for 40 minutes.
- About a half hour into the chicken baking begin preparing the balsamic reduction. Add the balsamic vinegar into a small sauce pan. Turn the heat on low to medium and stir constantly with a whisk. Turn the heat to low once the mixture has came to a bubble/boil. Cook the reduction for 10 - 12 minutes or until it has reduced by half and is thick!
- Slice chicken and place on serving platter. Drizzle the balsamic reduction over the chicken and serve it immediately.